The purpose of the Underwater GPS Kit is to make underwater positioning technology available for everyone. The kit requires minimal technical skills and is quick and easy to deploy.
With its extremely small size and low weight, the Underwater GPS kit is hassle-free to transport and operate.
A wide range of Locator choices and software options makes the Underwater GPS technology a great fit for mini ROVs, divers and all the way up to advanced Oil&Gas operations.
1. The Locator is mounted on the ROV or diver.
2. The Receivers are connected and measured relative to the top-side and deployed in water.
3. The ROV or diver is submerged and its position shows up in the web GUI.
The Explorer Kit can be used with 4 different Locator types:
- Locator U1 Battery powered. Optimal for divers/ROVs.
- Locator S1 Optimized for ROV integration.
- Locator A1 Optimized for ROV integration.
- Locator D1 For stand alone operation. Comes with its own tether.
- Locator P1 For long range and noisy environments.
Please refer to the Locator Comparison Matrix at the bottom of this page for further details.
You will normally experience an accuracy of ~1% of the range between the Locator and the Receivers. So on 100 meter range, you can expect an acuracy of ~1 meter.
Underwater GPS relies on acoustics to transmit data through the water. Acoustic transmission can be affected by these scenarios:
- Reflections from hard surfaces nearby your operation area (ship hulls, the sea floor, constructions etc.)
- Signal dampening from objects in the water (large consentrations of fish etc.)
The Water Linked technology has revolutionary performance in this kind of challenging scenarios. While other solutions simply break down, the Underwater GPS continues to work. With Underwater GPS you should simply expect somewhat lower acuracy in such operations.
The record breaking physical size enables integration with smaller equipment than ever before. The small size and mass means a negligible effect on maneuverability of even the smallest ROV’s.
The cost of a complete Underwater GPS system starts at a completely new price point compared to traditional solutions. This enables the solution to be adapted to a host of new areas where cost sensitivity is high. Small and low cost inspection ROVs and scuba divers are just a couple of examples.
The Master-D1 computer inside the top-side housing is running a fully featured web based GUI. This is where you observe the position of the Locator and configure the system. Main features include:
- Graphical visualization of underwater position of the Locator relative to the receivers
- Map based visualization of underwater position of the Locator with GPS coordinates
- Heading of the baseline (the receivers)
- Configurable track log of both the baseline and the Locator
- Comprehensive configuration possibilities
- Diagnostics to graphically monitor the acoustic signal
As part of the 200 meter range upgrade, we also include some advanced features.
- 1x top-side housing including a Master-D1 WL-21008
- 4x Receiver-D1 WL-21005-P010 (10m cable and Binder Series-770 connector)
- 1x locator of choice
- Webserver exposing a GUI and API
- GPS (Including external antenna)
- IMU (Compass/Orientation)
- Housing: Pelican Case #1200 (IP67)
- D1 interfaces: 5x (Typically 4 Receiver-D1 and 1 Locator-D1)
- D1 connector: Binder Series-770 (IP67 plugged and unplugged)
- A1 interfaces: 1x
- A1 connector: Binder Series-770 (IP67 plugged and unplugged)
- Ethernet interfaces: 1x
- Ethernet connector: Bulgin Series-6000 (IP68) incl sealing cap
- Ethernet cable: 3m cable with Bulgin Series-6000 (IP68) to Shielded RJ45
- Power connector: Bulgin Series-6000 (IP68) incl sealing cap
- Power cable: 3m cable with Bulgin Series-6000 (IP68) to open end
- Part number: WL-11001
- Part name: Underwater GPS Explorer Kit
- Acoustic range: Up to 200 m
- Supply voltage: 10-18 V
- Case external dimensions: 27 x 24.6 x 12.4 cm
- Weight: ~ 4 kg
- Operating temperature: -10 to 60 °C
Locator comparison matrix