The Underwater GPS Explorer Kit is now available for Pre-Order with the new battery powered Locator U1 specially made for divers!
The kit includes everything you need to get started with underwater positioning.
The purpose of the Explorer Kit is to make Underwater GPS technology available for everyone. The kit requires minimal technical skills and is quick and easy to deploy.
With its extremely small size and low weight, the Underwater GPS kit is hassle-free to transport and operate.
- The included Velcro bands are used to attach the Locator to the diver or device you wish to position.
- The Locator U1 receives an updated sync with the top-side by running the sync procedure
- The 4 included Receivers are connected to the top-side housing and deployed in water. The separation between them is measured and inserted to the web GUI. Separation should be at least a couple of meters.
- The Locator is deployed in water and the position shows up in the web GUI.
The Explorer Kit can be used with 3 different Locator types:
- Locator A1 (Optimized for ROV integration. Requires technical skills to integrate.)
- Locator D1 (For stand alone operation. Comes with its own tether.)
- Locator U1 (Battery powered. Stand alone operation. Optimized for divers!)
This special Pre-Order version of the Explorer Kit comes with the Locator U1 as the only option. Use this URL for Explorer Kit with other Locator options. You can also use this kit with the other Locators if you decide to purchase them separately now or later.
You will typically experience an acuracy of ~1% of the range between the Locator and the Receivers. On 100 meter range, you can expect an acuracy of ~1 meter.
Underwater GPS relies on acoustics to transmit data through the water. Acoustic transmission can be affected by these scenarios:
- Reflections from hard surfaces nearby your operation area (ship hulls, the sea floor, constructions etc.)
- Signal dampening from objects in the water (large consentrations of fish etc.)
The Water Linked technology has revolutionary performance in this kind of challenging scenarios. While other solutions simply break down, the Underwater GPS continues to work. With Underwater GPS you should simply expect somewhat lower acuracy in such operations.
A Locator-U1 consists of two main modules which are mounted together using a bayonet mounting principle:
- Locator-U1 Transmitter Module
- Locator-U1 Battery Module
The Locator-U1 Battery Module will keep the U1 operational for approximately 6 hours before it needs to be recharged. The Battery Module is recharged using the included USB-C charger.
Locator U1 Syncronization
The Locator-U1 needs to be synced with the computer in top-side housing before it is deployed in water. The procedure involves holding the U1 head-to-head into a Receiver-D1 while initiating the sync procedure in the GUI. It only takes a few seconds. The sync procedure should be performed before every dive. Without an updated sync, the U1 will provide a less accurate position.
The computer inside the top-side housing is running a fully featured web based GUI. This is where you observe the position of the Locator and configure the system. Main features include:
- Graphical visualization of underwater position of the Locator relative to the receivers
- Map based visualization of underwater position of the Locator with GPS coordinates
- Heading of the baseline (the receivers)
- Configurable track log of both the baseline and the Locator
- Comprehensive configuration possibilities
- Diagnostics to graphically watch the acoustic signal
- 1x top-side housing including a Master-D1 WL-21008
- 4x Receiver-D1 WL-21005-P010 (10m cable and Binder Series-770 connector)
- 1x Locator-U1 WL-21018-S (Including 1 battery module)
- Webserver exposing a GUI and API
- Acoustic Position SW
- Global Position SW
- GPS (Including external antenna)
- IMU (Compass/Orientation)
- Housing: Pelican Case #1200 (IP67)
- 1x USB-C charger
- 2x Velcro bands (short and long)
- D1 interfaces: 5x (Typically 4 Receiver-D1 and 1 Locator-D1)
- D1 connector: Binder Series-770 (IP67 plugged and unplugged)
- A1 interfaces: 1x
- A1 connector: Binder Series-770 (IP67 plugged and unplugged)
- Ethernet interfaces: 1x
- Ethernet connector: Bulgin Series-6000 (IP68) incl sealing cap
- Ethernet cable: 3m cable with Bulgin Series-6000 (IP68) to Shielded RJ45
- Power connector: Bulgin Series-6000 (IP68) incl sealing cap
- Power cable: 3m cable with Bulgin Series-6000 (IP68) to open end
- Part number: WL-11001
- Part name: Underwater GPS Exxplorer Kit
- Acoustic range: 100 m
- Supply voltage: 10-18 V
- Case external dimensions: 27 x 24.6 x 12.4 cm
- Weight: ~ 4 kg
- Operating temperature: -10 to 60 °C