The Underwater GPS Explorer Kit includes everything you need to get started with underwater positioning.
The purpose of the Explorer Kit is to make Underwater GPS technology available for everyone. The kit requires minimal technical skills and is quick and easy to deploy.
With its extremely small size and low weight, the Underwater GPS kit is hassle-free to transport and operate.
- The Locator is mounted on the ROV or diver.
- For Locator-A1 and S1, the Explorer Kit top-side need to receive the depth reading from the ROVs depth sensor. This is done using the included API.
- The 4 included Receivers are connected to the top-side housing and deployed in water. The separation between them is measured and inserted to the web GUI. Separation should be at least a couple of meters.
- The Locator is deployed in water and its position shows up in the web GUI.
The Explorer Kit can be used with 4 different Locator types:
- Locator S1 Optimized for ROV integration.
- Locator A1 Optimized for ROV integration.
- Locator D1 For stand alone operation. Comes with its own tether.
- Locator U1 Battery powered. Optimized for divers!
Please refer to the Locator Comparison Matrix at the bottom of this page for further details.
You will normally experience an acuracy of < 1% of the range between the Locator and the Receivers. On 100 meter range, you can expect an acuracy of ~1 meter.
Underwater GPS relies on acoustics to transmit data through the water. Acoustic transmission can be affected by these scenarios:
- Reflections from hard surfaces nearby your operation area (ship hulls, the sea floor, constructions etc.)
- Signal dampening from objects in the water (large consentrations of fish etc.)
The Water Linked technology has revolutionary performance in this kind of challenging scenarios. While other solutions simply break down, the Underwater GPS continues to work. With Underwater GPS you should simply expect somewhat lower acuracy in such operations.
The Master-D1 computer inside the top-side housing is running a fully featured web based GUI. This is where you observe the position of the Locator and configure the system. Main features include:
- Graphical visualization of underwater position of the Locator relative to the receivers
- Map based visualization of underwater position of the Locator with GPS coordinates
- Heading of the baseline (the receivers)
- Configurable track log of both the baseline and the Locator
- Comprehensive configuration possibilities
- Diagnostics to graphically monitor the acoustic signal
- 1x top-side housing including a Master-D1 WL-21008
- 4x Receiver-D1 WL-21005-P010 (10m cable and Binder Series-770 connector)
- 1x locator of choice
- Webserver exposing a GUI and API
- GPS (Including external antenna)
- IMU (Compass/Orientation)
- Housing: Pelican Case #1200 (IP67)
- D1 interfaces: 5x (Typically 4 Receiver-D1 and 1 Locator-D1)
- D1 connector: Binder Series-770 (IP67 plugged and unplugged)
- A1 interfaces: 1x
- A1 connector: Binder Series-770 (IP67 plugged and unplugged)
- Ethernet interfaces: 1x
- Ethernet connector: Bulgin Series-6000 (IP68) incl sealing cap
- Ethernet cable: 3m cable with Bulgin Series-6000 (IP68) to Shielded RJ45
- Power connector: Bulgin Series-6000 (IP68) incl sealing cap
- Power cable: 3m cable with Bulgin Series-6000 (IP68) to open end
- Part number: WL-11001
- Part name: Underwater GPS Explorer Kit
- Acoustic range: 100 m
- Supply voltage: 10-18 V
- Case external dimensions: 27 x 24.6 x 12.4 cm
- Weight: ~ 4 kg
- Operating temperature: -10 to 60 °C